Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Good Morning Joe

                                6x6 $90
This was the first painting I did for the DPW Challenge. The fabric looked nothing like this. I tried to paint the fabric as it actually looked and ended up with quite possibly the worst painting I have ever seen. Anything I tried would be an improvement, so I simplified it and toned it down, and I like it much better. The disastrous experience with this fabric taught me that I prefer simple geometric prints and led me to the solution (for me) that I posted yesterday. I'm pretty excited about the possibilities of this technique, so I'm very thankful for the challenge that led me there.



3 comments:

  1. Layne, I'm so impressed that you chose to do TWO of these challenge paintings! I love the dark fabric reflecting off the side of the mug. I would be curious what your 'worst' looks like but since it got you to this one, it was a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really awesome job with that fabric. Glad the techniques of using patterned paper (did i get that right?) is working well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this--how you dealt with the fabric and the reflections. And you bravely threw in an egg too!

    ReplyDelete