Thursday, January 13, 2011

Bridging the Gap

                                    6x6 $90

It's no secret what this represents: the "all white" challenge! I did this one with my new favorite, the blue toned surface. I think I'll do it again with a warm under painting just for comparison- and maybe add an egg yolk. The beauty of the all white challenge is that it forces you to look at values really closely, because that's the only thing that defines the objects. While I was doing this painting I got a phone call, and while I was talking, I viewed the setup from a different angle that I found quite intriguing. I may try painting it from that angle too.




10 comments:

  1. Woot! This is a beauty, Layne! Really great values and composition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the reflections on the white surfaces.
    Well done Lane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a challenge! You did a wonderful job with all the values. It's a great painting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! Wow, this is my favorite so far. Love that it was painted on the blue ground and can see just tiny hints of that- so good Layne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Layne - and all whites are difficult without looking muddy.
    Fine job...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tough to do all whites I'd imagine, and you've done it masterfully! Love your work, Layne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. painting white on white ain't so easy...this one sings.

    ReplyDelete