Saturday, October 1, 2011

Portugal Rooftops

                                           16x16 Contact me if interested

More of the Spain/Portugal series. I have wrapped it up with 11 paintings (I created 13, but 2 have sold) and this week I will be framing them and preparing them for a show at the Seattle Design Center. In the past few days I have been working on color. My husband says my paintings have become dull and unexciting. I had been trying to work with neutrals and spots of color, but when I took stock of what I had done recently I saw that he was right. My neutrals were "blah" . I needed to move toward more neutralized color rather than flat beiges and greys. I went back to what I learned from Robert Moore's workshop and mixed up a big batch of good neutral using complements (cad orange and ultramarine ) and used that to unify the painting by mixing just a bit of that with all my colors. I use just a bit of pure color for "pops" in selected places. I often pooh pooh my husbands critiques at first (he's not an artist) but end up deciding they have merit.

6 comments:

  1. layne..Your paintings are wonderful..I like your choice of subjects..your handling of figures and now I want to go to Portugal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous organization of shapes. Love the flow and as usual the brushwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Layne, my husband (also non-artist) often says things I dismiss, only to find later that he just doesn't know the right WORDS (value, warm, cool, contrast) to describe what he thinks is not right about the painting!

    Also, I love your work - and I think maybe Page found you because I included a link to your blog in my handout for my Blogging Workshop this week! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an exciting piece. Love the bit of green in the middle area. Wonderful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Une autre belle généreuse toile... Le Portugal, une bien belle source de lumière... que vous mettez bien à propos dans votre travail;
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your paintings are inspiring. I Love your work. I see we are practically neighbors too (I'm in Edmonds). Your Portugal/Spain paintings also bring back memories of my own visits there. I may have to pull out some of my old photos and try painting those as well! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete