Here we have another revised painting above the featured one. "Curiosity" had thin paint in the background and it was lifeless; I think I improved it. Today's featured painting is "Big Slices".
I'm quite happy with the composition and the transparent look of the oranges. I created an exercise for myself today to try to improve my compositions. I take photographs of some possible tableaus, and then import them into Photoshop, where I remove the color so that I see only value. Then I check it against the guidelines, especially the balance of values. It's boring to have equal amounts of light, medium and dark, so you want most of one, some of the second and just a little of the third. Sometimes it's hard to see the value when you're also looking at color.
If I like a composition, but see a problem, I can make the adjustments before I proceed to painting. Hopefully, this will minimize all my corrections and I can get it right the first time!